Monday, April 16, 2012

Movie Review

We loved The Hunger Games. We loved it so much, I took my two princesses to see it the next week.
Jennifer Lawrence plays the role of Katniss and ROCKS it! She does a great job of channeling the emotions that we as readers were able to see in print, for those that never read the book. She shows her softer sides, the startled and awkward side of her in the interviews.

Before I go into the male roles, I want to say that the filming captures so many things they were unable to portray in the movie for time constraint reasons. Some fans said that there were details missing, or some of them wrong, such as Katniss not receiving the mockingjay pin from the Mayor's daughter. But it's still going to be Hollywood, a movie that has restrictions our writers don't. Which is why books will always reign supreme ;)

Also, about the filming, the scenes in the arena show bloodshed, but it does a good job of not going overboard.

Haymitch, played by Woody Harrelson really threw me off at first, but I think he pulled it off well. Of course, there were a lot of Haymitch conversations left out...but I imagine he will be more active in the second movie.

Josh Hutcherson is such a perfect Peeta. I was completely in love with him the second he shook hands with Katniss on Reaping Day. He must have read this book...a ton of times. I think he probably captured his character the best. Him, and Cinna, played by Lenny Kravitz. Amazing. He said little, showed it all with his eyes, spoke exactly the way he did in my head as I read the book.

Gale, as Princess Rhiannon states, is HOT. "OMG Mom! Look at Gale, he's so hot!" to quote the excited squeal that came from her upon realizing that there was no one else in the theater but us. Liam Hemsworth is the actor and I do have to agree...I hope they keep him around. ;)

It's a movie that I will own one day. I loved it almost as much as the books. Princess Kayla is 8 and although she didn't quite grasp everything, she enjoyed the movie as well. Rhiannon has read the books and so she was thrilled we got to see the movie. She agrees that it's a 5 stars in our book!

1 comment:

  1. Me too! I did a review of this movie as well, and we kinda were on the same page. I however was annoyed at some of the missing info. I dont know why. I'm a movie snob I guess. Books will always reign for a reason.

    ctny

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!