Monday, June 7, 2010

Debut Author Kiersten White-Paranormalcy

If you don't already follow Kiersten White's blog, See Kiersten Write, you are missing out. Not only does she dispense of invaluable advice for writers, she keeps us laughing and empathizes with humor. For me, following her blog is a little like following a mini-series on TV. :0) Which is why I can't wait for her September release of Paranormalcy! You can pre-order at Amazon! Yay! Alright, now it's her turn to entertain! (see all those exclamation points?!)


Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal. (From Amazon)



Are you a pantster or a planner?
Total pantster. I plan a bit, but if I have an entire outline I get bored and the book doesn't happen.

What was the toughest part of your journey to publication?
The waiting and the rejection. I had a book go out on submission to editors before Paranormalcy. Month after month I waited. And about once a month, I'd get a rejection. It was brutal and it really wore me down emotionally. This is why it's imperative you have writing friends who are in similar stages--they are the only ones that really understand what you are going through. This is why it's also imperative that once you have that first project done, you are working on the second!

How was Paranormalcy born?
I wanted to play around with something a little more on the fantastical side than what I'd been writing. My friend, Natalie Whipple asked how I would do vampires if I ever wrote them and my husband talked about taking them back to what they really are--living corpses. From that idea came the International Paranormal Containment Agency and my darling girl, Evie and that was that.

At the red-carpet event of Paranormalcy, the movie, who would you take and what would you wear?
I would either take my husband, or if he had to babysit, I would take Natalie Whipple, Stephanie Perkins, and Carrie Harris, some of my critique partners. They would make funny jokes with me, which are essential to the movie-going experience, I've found. Although none of them would look as good in a suit as my husband does. I would wear something someone else picked out as I am utterly hopeless at fashion and would probably look like I was trying to go to the prom or something.

What is your advice for aspiring writers?
Keep writing! Finish a project, edit as best you can, workshop it and then write something else. It wasn't my first book that sold. Or my second. Or my third. Fourth try was the charm in my case--or at least, that's how long it took me to get my writing to a level where it was ready to be published. Don't be afraid to work because it's a huge, huge part of writing.

Tell the truth....did you write Paranormalcy or did Laptop slave over it?
Let's just say it was a group effort, but don't tell Laptop I said so.

Thanks again, Kiersten!! I know you are super busy with all of your edits and emails. Congratulations and I can't wait to read it!!

3 comments:

  1. Kiersten is a lovely, generous soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've added this title to my must haves for 2010. I am really excited to see how this novel presents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Paranormalcy is one of the books that I'm looking forward to reading this fall.

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!