Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Game of LIFE

This is a previous post from my blog on myspace. However, since most people do not have access to that blog, I thought I would re-type it here.

I know we all struggle with our own demons in our writing careers. Sometimes it is outside influences that hold us back, sometimes it is ourselves. This is not a blog of conclusion to our problems, it won't wave a wand and magically fix our insecurities. But it's nice to know we aren't alone!

I'm the type of person that loves little things. I love little looks, little smiles, little phrases, little hands and little coincidences. Sometimes, it is more hassle than helpful. Sometimes, it's pretty cool. I had one of those little reminders last night as I played the game of LIFE with my husband. We had bought the game to play with the kids, but it is new and electronic now (has anyone seen this version? It's cool once you get the hang of it.)so my girls were a little bored with learning it.

I drew a LIFE card and almost fell out of my chair.

"EARN ROYALTIES ON YOUR PRIZE WINNING BOOK +500 LIFE POINTS AND +100,000 DOLLARS."

After I read it out loud to my husband, he smiles and says, "cool." He didn't get it. Finally I said, "Don't you see what this is?? It's a sign. I'm gonna write a prize winning book." We both laughed over it, but I thought about that darn card all night long.

That little game card upset my whole evening. Not necessarily in a bad way, but it sure made me think. Of course, in order to write a best seller, one must actually write every day. I have had the goal to write every day for months. I've sworn that it could be good, bad or in between. I've argued with myself and pitied myself the busyness that surrounds my life. I know I'm not the only writer that struggles with these problems.

However, as that little card pointed out to me, I am the writer that allowed all of those struggles, annoyances, and pity parties stop me. They won, I lost. They took over my thoughts and beliefs. Every little motivational saying in the world was met with resistance. I couldn't seem to pull myself out of it. I discouraged my own dreams...but for a few bumps in the road? Granted....they haven't been little problems. For the most part, it has been a matter of keeping my family together. But...it hasn't been enough to make me stop writing. Nothing should be enough for that.

So, when you start feeling knocked down....play LIFE the game. You may draw a card that gives you some insight in a very sneaky way. Or, draw your own card, take control of it and make it happen. Funny how a little game can change your attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!