Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Bit of Fiction

"You can't cross a sea by merely staring into the water." Rabindranath Tagore
(darn it)

If you are taking guilty pleasures, that are unearned, welcome! :) Actually, what I meant to say was, GET BACK TO WORK! ARE YOU CRAZY??

If you are not here is the beginnings of my crazy nano novel. I'm proud to say that I have not gone over it a single time. Actually, this will be the first time I re-read it. I have had to bribe my internal editor with other manuscripts so I don't keep going over and over what I've written on my nano novel. Are you learning to ignore your inner editor this month??

Moira stood from the cheap plastic chair when Brayden stepped out of Charla's office. She headed up the new task force against illegal drug use, so Homeland Security provided us with an underground command center combined with a pre-treatment center for addicts.

"There's a vision for my tired eyes," Brayden said.

Moira lowered her eyes to the oversized tee shirt hanging over her jeans. The look was topped off by scuffed sneakers. "Really? You are such a liar."

His dimples flashed as quickly as his smile. "I couldn't lie to you." His smile disappeared. "I could assign you to a new school, though."

Moira groaned. "Do you know how much I hate high school?"

"You shouldn't. You graduated at the age of fifteen last year. Most students endure many more years of suffering."

"Blah, blah blah. Why do you think I graduated early? I hate high school!"

Brayden furrowed his brows as he picked up a yellow legal pad from his metal desk. "Because you are a genius, and now we need your genius in Reno at Carter High School."

It was Moira's turn to wrinkle her forehead. "Isn't that awful close to our Wheel?" The Wheel is what the team referred to their underground lair as.

"We think you can handle it, don't you?"

"Yes sir."

Brayden cocked his head. "Don't call me sir again."

Moira smiled. "No problem, sir."

5 comments:

  1. Love that last line! I've had to completely turn off that inner editor to make big revisions. I'll go back and edit later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My internal editor is on mute right now and it's cracking me up!

    I'm having a blast writing with reckless abandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So important to turn off the internal editor hat when writing a first draft. You go girl! You are doing terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with this! It is definitely a very interesting beginning. I really want to know what the story is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies :) Regina, welcome to my little world. LOL I don't know if you are participating in nano-but there is a short synopsis of what this is about on my nano page. My username is kristifaith if you want to buddy me. I'll be posting excerpts every Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!