Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesday Review-Kimberly Derting; The Body Finder

I'm so glad that I finally get to do a Tuesday Review. Tuesday Reviews means I made it through the whole book despite my many distractions throughout a normal day. It sounds odd, but working out has improved the amount of time I have to read while on the treadmill or bike. It's amazing what we do as grown ups, isn't it?

Okay, on to what you really want to hear. The juicy details of this wonderful book, The Body Finder. Well, I'm not going to give you the juicy details. I'm not going to do any spoiling on this blogspot! :0)

POV: First person past tense
LENGTH: 327 pages
GENRE: YA/Paranormal

First of all, I loved the main character, Violet. I couldn't help it because she reminded me a lot of myself and so there was an instant kinship between us, you know?

The author did a great job of setting up the story without boring or confusing the reader. Though I could have used a little less explanation of her gift, that is a minute detail that I'm not going to squabble about. As a whole this book is awesome and an enjoyable read. Once you start diving into the mystery with Violet, there's really no turning back.

The romance is also swoonworthy in this book. I found myself rooting for the boy that she really loved(her childhood friend), and sighing in frustration when they would miscommunicate with each other. She did a great job of setting up the emotions of a YA relationship with your best friend that is suddenly a lot better looking than he was in junior high. It brought back that situation in my life with stunning clarity and I really understood Violet's angst.

Despite swoonworthy romance, this novel isn't for romance readers. Kimberly Derting weaves her words and the mystery together so well that half the time I forgot I was supposed to be asking whodunnit; I had actually let go and trusted the author. Something I don't always do too easily. I have my die-hard stand-bys when it comes to suspense and now this book will be added to that shelf. So will her next book, Desires of the Dead.

I think this is a perfect example of YA. There are a few swear words, but nothing drastic and it's certainly not littered through the entire book. I wouldn't give this to my 10 year old only because of the mature emotional content. (Bodies responding to each other-no sex, but the charge of it is in the air!)Go. Buy. It. Just click on the link and VOILA! And if you don't already follow Kimberly Derting's author blog you should be. So click on her name and leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Kimberly Derting was amazing, the book was brilliant and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So noted. (I just always wanted to leave that as a comment!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. I'm looking forward to reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review! :) I agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!