Monday, April 26, 2010

Who's that girl?

When I was a kid, I walked to and from school. Not uphill or in the snow because I attended school in Texas, which is mostly flat and not snowy (usually). The point of this ramble is that I remember a game I used to play as I walked to and from school to keep my mind occupied instead of feeling sorry for myself because I had to walk. :0)

Have you ever watched people in their cars? I would see a woman with a scowl on her face, or the very important businessman rushing to work while shaving? Women and makeup or family vans where hand gestures are big and every body in the vehicle is moving. Or someone really rocking out with their stereo? Those are great. I know I'm someone you will see be-boppin' in the car. 

So, here's the game. Turn that person in the car into a character. Give them a reason for what you observe. Maybe the girl rockin' out to the stereo just found out she's been accepted to the best college. Make something up and write a short story or a novel. Or just giggle to yourself at your own version of reality. Whatever works, right? :0)

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I do that game all the time. I work in a cafe and I always try and think of stories for the customers that come in (especially when I'm having a bad day and would rather be anywhere else).

    This is actually a good way to get characters. If you pay attention you might end up seeing something that you could use to form the characters you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this too. It's so much fun to make up life stories for total strangers - especially ones you see on a regular basis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make up stories in my head for people in restaurants or food courts.

    In my head, there are no grammar police or word cops.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great exercise. I admit I usually am looking around wondering what people's stories are. I don't think I've ever turned one into a piece of writing, though. I might have to try that the next time my creative well runs dry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that when I'm sitting in traffic. Try to make up reasons why their on the phone and who they could possibly be talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great activity! I used to walk to school in elementary school. I did more unimaginative things like count the lines in the sidewalk and argue with my sister. lol Thanks for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!