Saturday, October 9, 2010

This Rare Occasion

So, it's not silent in my home today by any means. It's Saturday after all and the kids are home. I can hear the Scooby Doo movie playing from the Princesses's bedroom and the young prince is in a timeout in his playpen. Though he's babbling, he's not screaming and that's rare. Everyone is occupied enough that I don't feel a burden of guilt for sitting in front of this computer screen. And the worst part is that I can not say that I've neglected anyone due to writing. It's been all Facebook and Reader and games. It's tragic, really.

Many thanks to so many of my followers that I don't feel like I'll never write again. Every once in a while I think of something slightly poetic and write it down. Nothing has gone anywhere significant, but I'm nurturing and appreciating the words when they do come.

In the meantime, I'm learning a lot of BIG things. Well, let me re-phrase that. Beliefs I've held are being challenged a lot in my life lately and I'm learning more from the challenges than the affirmations. Did that make sense? 


For example; the power of a pat on the back and a few words of praise upon a human being is incredible. Do not take this for granted! You will miss it should it ever disappear.

A smile brings untold joy to a person. I'm generally a happy person that goes into any gas station, grocery store, church, school and work, wearing a smile. Just last Friday I had a gentleman approach me at the gas station where I frequent. They all know my name as I try to always offer an anecdote of some sort when I'm there.
"Kristi, are you okay?"
Me, shocked, "I'm fine, why?"
"You don't smile all the time like you used to. I miss the old you."
Even more shocked. "Wow, really?"
"Yeah, you've been quiet and serious the last few times I've seen you. I don't like it."
Humbled. "I don't like that either. I guess I had no idea anyone ever noticed."

I've smiled every time now no matter how I feel. I couldn't stand the thought of my frown bringing someone else down. Because I know how that feels.

Fight your brain's tendency to finish another person's sentence. It's hurtful. I know I was the most guilty person of this. Always in such a rush I didn't have time to contemplate that another person might have something different to say. We, as a nation, should learn to listen better.

Remember how small the world is to your children. For us, it doesn't make sense that they blow up over a toy being misplaced. But that's all they have. Nurture their small world so the big one isn't quite so lonely.

Despite every good intentioned quote, every idealistic belief of peace and love, there is a yang. Another side to keep our good in check. Fighting the negative to appreciate the positive can be exhausting, but it's worth it...I believe.

4 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself for playing games and stalking facebook and reading!
    I look at it this way, everything I do and see and hear is fodder for a story or a poem. Even to waste 5 hours sitting in front of the computer last night, (I always keep a pile of scrap paper near me...)I wrote down 6 ideas for future work that came from other people's status updates and ads on the side of my home page.
    I know, sometimes I get mad at myself because I still feel like that time could have been more useful elsewhere, but isn't that true about everything in life that we do for ourselves? If we aren't happy and well-rested and content within ourselves, how can we hope to fully be there for other people?
    Denise :)

    http://denise-roomtowrite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being positive is worth it! Keep at it Kristi - things are bound to swing back up again soon. Take care of yourself and your family. That's the most important job of all. Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring a smile to my face every time I see a FB post (sorry I don't comment much) and insights such as this. You're truly awesome Kirsti.

    Thanks for sharing your lessons learned.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. This is usually what I am saying; does me good to hear it back at me. ;-)

    And, can you believe that I wasn't a follower up there? Shocked, I immediately remedied that.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!