Wednesday, September 15, 2010

WIP Wednesday!

These Wednesdays are creeping up on me lately! :) Though I haven't written much in the way of my WIP, I have been doing a lot of thinking about my characters. My main character and her BFF to be exact. For this story it's really important that their personas really come through clearly. Of course we can't write a bunch of backstory in our manuscripts (slow and boring for our readers) so I've decided to write the backstory in a different document entirely. Perhaps then I won't be as tempted to add it in the wrong places of my story.

My name is Delilah Marks. I live on the outskirts of town with my mom; which works, because we're outsiders in this place. My family has lived in this desert for generations, but each generation seemed to have brought some sort of shame to the Marks name. The most recent talk of the town is my Aunt's death. They all say it's suicide, but I don't believe she would do that. No one questioned her boyfriend and no one, other than my mom and me, thought it was strange that he burned all of her belongings and skipped town. I never told anyone about my strange dreams and how my aunt's handwriting suddenly popped up in my journals without my recollection of ever writing the passage. 


I don't trust anyone, except my best friend Bethany. She has a strength I could never muster and in that sense she's good to have around. I don't have much to say, but if I did, Bethany would speak it for me. We've always just had a connection like that. 


I couldn't be more opposite of my light-haired best friend. I have curly, dark hair that is too thick and wild. My eyes are too far apart for my little nose and full lips. Bethany can match colors and wear a different palette of makeup every day and still look like a model. I look like something from "Attack of the Zombies" every time I attempt to wear the stuff.


After my aunt died, we started watching this show, "Talking to the Other Side" with Elcie. I knew I had to meet her. From what I could tell there wasn't any trickery or vague descriptions that could apply to just about anyone from the woman that wore purple silk. I wanted desperately to meet her and so when Bethany found out on the internet that Elcie was holding a contest for one lucky person and their friend to be her interns for the summer, I had to try it. For the first time since my aunt's death, I felt hope. I could see a light at the end of the tunnel; and for some reason I knew this was meant to be. Getting chosen only validated that feeling. I never thought I would learn so much about myself and the consequences of knowing secrets from the Other Side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!