Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Calling all Angels.....

For those of you that felt my previous Shout Out post contained ulterior motives, you're right. :) Awww, flattery will get me everywhere, right? ;) I'm kidding, sort of.

I did not intend to post the Shout Out, as most of my blogs go-I don't plan them. I keep ideas written on my dry erase board, but I don't write them out in advance or even know which one I will use for which day. So, it was totally accidentally on purpose that I just acknowledged what a great writing community we are here in the blogosphere and now I need said writing community to help me out.

I would like to start a critique group. I don't have any friends that write near me and with the kids and hubby bein' laid up, I can't get out of the house too often, unless it's for groceries. So, for me the perfect group would be online. Most likely-I'd like to wait until December to start, that way if anyone else is participating in Nano, we won't get behind because of reading others' manuscripts and such.

Here are the bones...I'm writing adult...could possibly cross to YA and I'm clueless. LOL Ok, maybe not clueless, but I'm a baby in this life journey and am looking to those wiser than me. I need people with brutally honest opinions (Kristi-you call this a plot?? Get with it!) and yet enough tact to be supportive. (So, the plot sucks-but your characters rock. How can we brainstorm together to get your plot going?) My stronger points are spelling, grammar and punctuation. ('Course, punctuation is tricky-so I'm not saying I'm perfect) I think I'm pretty good with dialogue, too. The things I KNOW I need to work on is:
Learn to OUTLINE
PLOT
Character Development
PLOT
PLOT
PLOT

So.....anyone interested in helping a gal out? I know many of you are already in groups, online or otherwise and I DO NOT want to take away from any of those!! I promise! My writing partner that is now a very dear friend, is taking a haitus from writing. I tried to discourage that, but how selfish of me! She needs a break-well then, she needs a break!

I'm looking for something relatively small so that the process of reading and critiquing isn't too terribly slow. We are already impatient enough, waiting for responses from queries, contests and publishers.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Members? :) Let me know in the comments, or you can email me directly at rocksister2 [at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks, and happy writing today!

2 comments:

  1. Kristi, I am definitely no expert and I am a newbie too, but I would love to be a part of the critique group.

    I need something online as well. I write Women's Fiction. I am NaNo-ing for the first time this year so December is great for me.

    My email:
    tamika.eason@yahoo.com

    Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a crit group already and have two additional beta readers. I'd love to join, but I just don't think I have time. Good luck finding the right group.

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!