Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Re-post Tip for Nano

With Nano looming around the corner a lot of my friends are considering whether or not to do this crazy adventure. I have a lot of opinions and most of them I expressed last year. So I'll be doing a series of re-posts with a few new tidbits of info that I've learned since then.

Today, it's all about keeping the kiddos busy. For those of you amazing mothers out there with a child that is too young for you to just leave unattended, here's something new and interesting (and non-toxic) I found with my son.


So, today's tip is probably a couple rolled into one. I have a young prince that can't do arts and crafts or make goals or write with me. So, to keep him busy (other than threatening the Princesses so they play with him) I put flour in a shallow baking dish (metal, not glass) and gave him a couple of cars, a baby spoon and some cookie cutters. He had a blast playing in the flour and I didn't have to worry about him eating it, because it wouldn't hurt him. If you are the type that listens to music while you write, jam it loudly and let the kids dance. Even the young prince left me alone for a couple of songs while they twirled in the living room. :)

And, the last recipe of this week is not edible. Well, it would be, but it's not going to be very yummy. Play Dough!!
1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp. food coloring-any color
1 cup water
2 Tblsp. cream of tartar
1 Tblsp. vegetable oil

Combine flour, salt and cream of tartar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add water, oil and food coloring. Stir for 3-5 minutes. It will start out looking like a globby mess, but it will turn into dough-keep stirring! Remove from heat once it looks more like playdough. Then remove from saucepan and knead dough. It will be hot! Refrigerate in a plastic baggie or tupperware container. My kids could never wait for it to cool completely, so they worked with it while still warm-which is great for cold, rainy days.

I'm so honored to be part of this blogging community, I wanted to take the chance to thank all those who read my blog every day-or even once a month, I'm flattered. :) You all give me hope and encouragement to keep going. You all make me smile, and you all make me a better writer.

1 comment:

  1. These are fantastic tips!! I remember doing most of this when my kids were young. Now I just sit next to them while they do homework and I do my own. Surprisingly, it's not easier. :(

    My NaNoWriMo tip? Don't do it!

    Ha ha! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!