Monday, June 21, 2010

Songwriting

How many songwriters do I have as followers? I know of one or two. I'm curious if there are any more of you lurking in the shadows.

If you are out there....I admire the hell out of you!! Songwriters are amazing to me. I'll admit that there are a couple of songs that I wouldn't normally listen to...but the lyrics are so amazing I'll listen to them every time. This tends to make my music selection eclectic to say the least.

For me, each song has a purpose, even if that purpose is to make me car dance and sing into a hairbrush. (Don't deny you do it too!) A lot of writers I notice have playlists for their writing, editing or inspiring brainstorming. I have to admit that I've never made a specific playlist for a WIP.

I have no idea why. I love music. L-O-V-E it. Admittedly, I don't listen to music as often as I used to before having children. Sometimes, silence is golden. Seriously.

But I was driving in the car with Princess Rhiannon the other day and she had control of the radio. This is not usually a problem. She likes pop, country and some rock. Some of the "Disney artists" I can live without, but I don't make a fuss. This song came on....

I hop off the plane at LAX with a dream in my heart again. Welcome to the land of fame excess; am I going to fit in? Jumped in the cab here I am for the first time, look to my right and see the HOLLYWOOD sign. This is all so crazy, everybody seems so famous. My tummy's turnin' and I'm feeling kind of homesick. Too much pressure and I'm nervous. Just then the taxi man turns on the radio and the Jay-Z song was on....

So I put my hands up, they're playing my song, the butterflies fly away.
I'm noddin' my head like yeah, I'm moving my hips like yeah.
I've got my hands up, they're playing my song, you know I'm gonna be okay
~Miley Cyrus, Party in the USA

I'll let you listen to the rest on your own. The point is that it immediately hit me. I remembered a flood of experiences where I was so nervous until I heard my song, or I purposely listened to my songs before work, job interviews, school, dates....It didn't take a whole novel. Just a few important sentences that remind you of a certain feeling. Now, I don't know if Miley Cyrus is the songwriter as well as the singer. I have heard that she writes some songs and I admire that. I admire any artist. But I really think songwriters are AWESOME. They can evoke a feeling, memory or tell a story in less than 10 minutes. How cool is that?

We could learn a little from them, I'm thinking.... So... stay tuned for the rest of the week's posts on music/songwriting etc.. And if you're a songwriter, email me! I'd love to pick your brain.

1 comment:

  1. You should also check out her song The Climb. I love that one. Seems so appropriate for writers or anyone with a big dream.

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!