Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday Fun at RAW

Instead of FIB Friday this week, I'm going to do something a little different.

I love story building and I've seen several blogs offer a good story building exercise once in a while. So, I thought I'd start a story and if you want to add to it-do so in the comments. Please keep your entries from turning into half of a novel. :0) I know how we writers are.

If you don't want to participate in the story, here's a fun writing prompt. It's actually a prompt we used often in Drama class, back in the day when I was youngER. :0) We had five minutes to mull it over with our partners and then had to take the stage and make it work for five minutes. Try it with your kids if they get bored. You'll be amazed at what they come up with. :0)

PROMPT: 8 year old boy and his phone carrying father are in an elevator with a woman who is carrying a tambourine. What happens when the elevator gets stuck?

STORY BUILDING:  Kenneth watched his little sisters play on the beach with their bright colored pails and shovels. They had started an impressive sand castle. The sounds of the waves crashing into each other and pounding the shoreline rocks filled his ears as he thought of what to do next. When their father had shown up yesterday in an RV and a new girlfriend, Kenneth knew it was time to take control of his destiny.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me revise:

    A month on the road with his dad and his newest and most likely temporary flame, not to mention "the twins," was not how Kenneth had envisioned spending his summer. He was fifteen years old, for crying out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Kenny! Come make the moat," Sherry begged him.

    He shaded his eyes from the sun as he looked up at the little red headed girl. "I don't feel like it right now."

    "Please, Kenny. You have to or I'll tell!"

    "I said NOT RIGHT NOW," he shouted at her until she ran away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of these ideas. I wish I had more time so that I could really participate.

    ReplyDelete

Your spotlight on R.A.W. :0) I strive to respond if you have your email address attached!